Thursday, December 20, 2012

Book Review 2012

It's been a great year for books!  I have been on a hot streak, seriously, just about every book I read this year was awesome!  Here are the awards.  Drum roll please....

Most unexpected awesome book of the year:  Tell the Wolves I'm Home
I hadn't heard much about this book ahead of time, all I knew was that the cover was awesome and it was about the AIDS scare back in the 80's.  As it turns out, it was less about AIDS and more about coming of age and finding love in unexpected places.  Honest and beautifully executed. 

Most disappointing book:  Shadow of Night
This was book number two in the All Souls Trilogy.  Where A Discovery of Witches was refreshing and intellectual, Shadow of Night was long (nearly 600 pages), boring, and stuffed to the brim with endless name dropping.  It felt like the author wanted to prove that she personally knew every famous person that has ever lived.  Shakespeare, Queen Elizabeth, Sir Walter Raleigh etc.  I'm still planning on reading book #3 in hopes that it has some redeeming qualities to make up for this drag of a book.

Favorite Book of 2012:  The Fault in our Stars
This book was sad, sweet and real.  I read it when I was having a particularly difficult time with life and it helped lift my soul.  I am amazed that the author could find such a perfect balance between love, life and comedy in a book that is essentially about death.  Just perfect!

Most Anticipated Book for 2013:  Clockwork Princess
I am so excited for this book to come out in March!  Happy Birthday to me!  This is book 3 in the Clockwork series.  It's set in Victorian London and is the prequel to The Mortal Instruments (I have read and loved all 5).  I will be sure to give a prompt review come March!

Books of 2012:
1. Clockwork Prince
2. Crossed
3. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
4. The City of Lost Souls
5. The Night Circus
6. Divergent
7. A Discovery of Witches
8. Insurgent
9. Shadow of night
10. Divergent
11. Delirium
12. Pandemonium
13. Heaven is Here
14. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
15. The Evolution of Mara Dyer
16. The Fault in Our Stars
17. Reached
18. Before I Fall
19. Tell the Wolves I'm Home
20. Unearthly

Any recommendations for 2013?

Have a Merry Christmas 
We will see you all next year!
The Wisconsin Wheatleys

3 comments:

  1. I love that we have "read" so many of the same books this year. (I listen to them on audio book while I am running so technically I'm not really reading them). I have added several of your list to my "wish list" on audible because you obviously have great taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too liked THE DISCOVERY OF WITCHES but can't get into SHADOW OF NIGHT. I started it and ended up putting it away for a while until I'm desperate for something to read. Loved THE NIGHT CIRCUS, and HEAVEN IS HERE. THE FAULT IN OUR STARS got me home from your house when I was stuck in Minneapolis with a blizzard. I was so glad to have it with me that day. I always love your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Matched Series. I'm on the third book now and it's really good!

    ReplyDelete